Description and Temperament
DS: "This exotic breed originates from Tibet and was favored by the Chinese royalty for its refined posture."
3DS: "This breed from Tibet is known for its beautiful coat, lovable round face and curled tail."
The Shih Tzu is an ancient breed originating in Tibet. They were created by crossing the Lhasa Apso with the Pekignese. They were bred to be beautiful, and their stunning coat comes in a wide variety of colour combinations. Their hair continues to grow like a human's throughout the life of a dog. Shih Tzus are considered to be one of the hardest breeds to train. They have a famous stubborn streak, and it can take many repetions for them to fully remember a command. Dog experience is definitely a requirement with this breed.
Not many Shih Tzu are seen in popular cultures. The breed made an appearance in the dog show spoof film Best In Show, but aside from real-life show champions there haven't been many Shih-superstars.
Unlocking the Breed
- Dalmatian & Friends: 35,000 Trainer Points
- Labrador & Friends: 8,000 Trainer Points
- Dachshund & Friends: Starter Breed
- Chihuahua & Friends: 22,000 Trainer Points
- Best Friends: 2,000 Trainer Points
- Toy Poodle & New Friends: Starter Breed
- Golden Retriever & New Friends: 7,400 Owner Points or playing 25 days in a row
- French Bulldog & New Friends: 600 Onwer Points or playing 5 days in a row
Nintendogs + Cats
In Nintendogs + Cats, the Shih Tzu comes in Parti-Color and Brindle. If the player chooses "Surprise me!", they may find a pure white, grey or brown one.
Three of your neighbors own Shih Tzus. They are
- Charlie, owned by Meghan.
- Casey, owned by Morgan. Casey is mean, so the "[dog's name] doesn't seem to like Casey very much" message will usually appear when met on walks.
- Tucker, owned by Jessica (Competitions Only) / PAL: Waffles, owned by Sue (Competitions Only)