The Maltese (Latin: Canis Melitaeus) is a breed of dog introduced in Nintendogs + Cats. It comes from the Central Mediterranean area, around Malta and the Italian island of Sicily. The oldest record of this breed was recorded in Greece.
The Maltese is usually a show dog, given that it has long, silky fur. They, like other breeds such as the Bichon and other small dogs, are prone to reverse sneezing (also known as the mechanosensitive aspiration reflex).
3DS (NTSC): "Receiving its name from the island of Malta, this breed boasts a silky, pure-white coat."
3DS (PAL): "This breed from the Mediterranean boasts a soft coat of pure white."
Unlocking the BreedEdit
- Toy Poodle & New Friends: 2,100 Owner Points or by playing 11 days in a row
- Golden Retriever & New Friends: Starter Breed
- French Bulldog & New Friends: 3,400 Owner Points or by playing 15 days in a row
The Maltese can only come in one colour option: White. However, it can have either brown, gray, or black patches on their faces and bodies.
One of your neighbors owns a Maltese. She is:
- Sadie/Lulu (PAL), owned by Sally (Competitions Only)
- The breed was originally designated to appear in Nintendogs, but they were left unfinished. The only way to acquire the breed in Nintendogs is to use a save file editor.