DS: "A Croatian breed, the Dalmatian has been useful for military, hunting, security and firefighting purposes."
3DS (NTSC): "This Croatian breed has been used for security, hunting, and firefighting purposes."
3DS (PAL): "This Croatian breed was used as a carriage dog, as well as for guarding and hunting."
Dalmatians are born white and develop their spots after a few weeks. Their spots may be black or chocolate/liver, and they will even develop spots on the roof of their mouth and sometimes on the pads of their paws. It is said that the Dalmatian became the mascot for firefighting because it was used as a guard dog for the carriages that firemen rode in. As the horses pulled the carriage to the site of the fire, the Dalmatians would run alongside and protect the horses from anyone who might get in the way or purposely startle or stop the horses. In newer times, the Dalmatian is still a firefighting mascot, even though modern firefighters don't need them to protect the trucks.
Unlocking the BreedEdit
- Dalmatian and Friends: Starter Breed
- Other DS Games: Find the Fireman's Hat on a walk. Alternately, get it from a Dalmatian & Friends user or meet a Dalmatian in Bark Mode.
- Toy Poodle & New Friends: 7,400 Owner Points or play 25 days in a row
- Golden Retriever & New Friends: 3,400 Owner Points or play 15 days in a row
- French Bulldog & New Friends: Starter Breed
Three of your neighbors own a Dalmatian. They are:
- Lily/Chipie - owned by Marie (3DS)
- Lola, owned by Tim (Competitions Only)
- Dottie, owned by Raymond (Competitions Only)
Nintendogs + CatsEdit
In Nintendogs + Cats, the only color option is With Spots, in which the Dalmatians will have either black spots or liver spots, and, unlike in the DS version, the spots vary greatly in size and number. If the player chooses "Surprise me!" they may find a Dalmatian that is gray, black with white, one with grey spots or one with no spots. Dalmatians' muzzles and paws are red tinted, suggesting thin fur.